Current Licensure Testing Requirements and Alternatives
Submit passing scores for the CASA or a State Alternative Exam(see below).
About the CASA exam
We offer free tutoring for the CASA exam; email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
State Alternatives for the CASA Exam
You will be exempt from the CASA if you have one of the following:
- ACT with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math
- GRE with a score of at least 1100 based on Verbal and Quantitative (For any GRE tests taken after August 1, 2011, the new GRE alternative combined score cutoff will be 301).
- Passing Praxis I Scores, prior to August 2013
- Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution
Please note: ACT, SAT and GRE scores do not include writing
Secondary ATAC applicants will submit the passing content exam scores, prior to beginning the program. The scores should be submitted by April 1st. Below are the Secondary content exam test codes.
Access the exams
Contact an academic advisor to confirm the testing requirements for your licensure area/s.
|Earth Space Science
|English Lang Arts
|Government & Citizenship
|Life Science (Biology)
To apply to the Aspiring Teacher Alternative Certification program, submit a completed application by February 7 (for the program beginning in the following summer or fall). No admissions decisions will be made before May.
A completed application includes:
- A copy of the Aspiring Teacher Alternative Certification contact information sheet
- A 1-2 page personal statement
Using 12-point font write a personal statement as a Word document. In the first paragraph, please state the program you wish to apply to, and how you think you will contribute to the teaching profession. Address why you wish to become a teacher and why you should be admitted to the program. Address your commitment to learning about issues of cultural diversity.
- Two letters of recommendation
The letters should be professional recommendations, from people who can attest to your character and abilities. Must be on letterhead and signed.
- Transcript evaluation report
Official Transcripts from all attended institutions. If your degree is from an IU Campus, you do not need to submit your transcript; please submit your date of birth, and all legal first and last names.
- A completed Licensure Program Page
- Essay (1 page) explaining any extenuating circumstances that may have impacted your undergraduate academic career.
This is required for students whose cumulative GPA is below a 2.5.
- Passing Praxis/CASA or Alternative scores; Passing Praxis I scores prior to August 2013
- Passing Content exam scores(Secondary applicants only)
- A resume listing educational and professional experiences
The resume should list your educational and job experiences.
Submit the application in person or by mail to:
IUPUI School of Education
Aspiring Teacher Alternative Certification Committee
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-5155