My research interests are aimed toward literacy practices and how contexts influence learning of adolescents in urban environments.
I am also interested in exploring students understandings of their own learning in school and out of school spaces. I use qualitative and design-based research methods to explore students experiential knowledge and their evolving disciplinary-specific literacy and understanding. Other related interests include classroom discourse and how it shapes teaching and learning.
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, Curriculum and Instruction
- M.Ed., University of Illinois at Chicago, Curriculum and Instruction
- B.A., Columbia College, Chicago, IL, Writing
- Methods of Teaching Literacy
- Classroom Discourse
- Critical Literacy
- Design-Based Research
- Literary Reasoning and Evidence-Based Argumentation
- Bilingual Education Graduate Fellowship-UIC 2004-2006
- International Society of the Learning Sciences
- American Association for Teaching and Curriculum
- American Education Research Association
- Literacy Research Association
- National Council for Teachers of English