I am an associate professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Director of the School of Education's Urban Principalship Program and Co-coordinator of IU's Educational Leadership Programs. I serve as co-principal investigator for two federally funded centers:
- The Great Lakes Equity Center works with state and local education agencies to ensure student access to and participation in high quality education regardless of race, sex, and national origin and to reduce disparities among and between groups in educational outcomes. One of ten Equity Assistance Centers funded by the Department of Education serving as resources to the Department of Justice and Office of Civil Rights, the center serves the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.
- The Community Self-Empowerment Program seeks to enhance the capacity of the Burmese Community Center for Education (BCCE) to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate supports for individuals and families displaced from Burma and resettling in Indiana. The three-year project is funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement of the US Department of Health and Human Services Administration for Children and Families.
My research employs qualitative methods and critical theories to explore educational policies and school leaders' responses to these. In addition to work on US schooling, I have studied leadership in schools contending with national educational reforms and intense regional unrest in the border provinces of southern Thailand. My work is published in Urban Education, Educational Policy, Educational Management, Administration & Leadership, The Peabody Journal of Education and Educational Administration Quarterly.
- PhD in Educational Administration, University of Texas at Austin, 2004
- MEd in Science Education, University of Texas at Austin, 1996
- BS in Education, University of Maine, 1990
- EDUC-Y 520: Strategies of Educational Inquiry
- EDUC-A 624 The Principalship
- EDUC-J 500: Curriculum in the Context of Learning
- EDUC-A 560: Perspectives on Educational Politics
- EDUC-A 695 Practicum in Educational Leadership
- EDUC-A 720 Workshop on Selected Problems in Educational Leadership
- Critical Leadership Studies
- Critical Policy Analysis
- Organizational Theory
- Politics of Education
- Jack A. Culbertson Early Career Award, University Council of Educational Administration, 2010
- Outstanding Dissertation in the Politics of Education, 2004-2006, Politics of Education Association, April, 2006.
- Outstanding Reviewer. Educational Administration Quarterly, 2006.
- David L. Clark Scholar, National Graduate Student Research Seminar hosted by the University of Educational Administration, 2004
Grants and Funding:
- Nguyen, T.S.T., Maxcy, B.D., Mutraw, M.O., Plo, N., & Nar, Y.D. (2013). Burmese Community Center for Education: Community Self-Empowerment Program. Office of Refugee Resettlement, USDHHS. (Co-principal Investigator, $600,000 (2013-2016) awarded September, 2013).
- King Thorius, K., Maxcy, B.D., & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2011). Great Lakes Equity Center at Indiana University-Indianapolis. Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, USDOE. (Co-principal Investigator, $2.2 million (2011-2014) awarded August, 2011).
- Maxcy, B.D., Nguyen, T.S.T., & Scribner, J.P. University of Missouri Vietnam Fellows Collaborative Inquiry Project. SEAMEO ReTraC, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. (Primary Investigator: Memorandum of Understanding signed November 2009).
- Nitjarunkul, K., Maxcy, B.D., Atisabda, W. Sungtong, E., Placier, P. Grogan, M., Nguyen, T.S.T. (2007). Organizational Challenges for Educators in Southern Thai Primary Schools Responding to Educational Reform and Cultural Unrest. The Prince of Songkla University Research Council, Hat Yai, Thailand. (Co-Primary Investigator: Awarded November 2007).
- Maxcy, B.D. & Placier, P. (2006). Reconsidering and Renegotiating Institutional Position at an Elite Thai School, The University of Missouri-Columbia Research Council, Columbia, MO. (Primary Investigator: Awarded March 2, 2006).
- Maxcy, B.D. (2005). A study of responses of school officials to religious-ethnic violence and government reform in Thailand, The Dr. Richard Wallace Alumni Association Research Incentive Grants, Columbia, MO. (Primary Investigator: Awarded January 10, 2006).
- American Educational Research Association
- University Council for Educational Administration
- Politics of Education Association