Getting admitted to the teacher education program
Application deadlines for priority consideration
- February 7 (fall)
- September 7 (spring)
Admission requirements for all majors
Both education and non-education majors need to submit the following items to be considered for the teacher education program:
- Online application by February 7 (fall) or September 7 (spring) for priority admission. Applications will be accepted until the program fills.
- Documentation of basic skills competency. See information about the Basic Skills Assessment for details on how to fulfill this requirement.
- Applicable test results. You'll need to take any required tests as far in advance of the application deadline as possible to ensure that scores arrive before you submit your application. It can take two weeks or longer to receive results. We recommend that you take required tests no later than November 15 (for fall admission) or July 15 (for spring admission).
Additional requirements for elementary education majors
If you plan to major in elementary education, you must also:
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Have no more than 18 credits remaining (including the dual/minor/concentration) at the time you begin the teacher education program. See the elementary education advising sheet for more details.
Additional requirements for secondary and all-grade education majors
If you plan to major in secondary education or all-grade education, you must also:
- Complete the required credits in both the general education and your content major before beginning the teacher education program. For more details, see the secondary education advising sheet for your major.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5—overall and in your major—at the time of application.
- Complete all required courses with a grade C (2.0) or higher.
Note: Math, science, art, and PE majors should consult their department advisors for specific prerequisite information.
Questions? Contact us:
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202