- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Instruction and Learning, 1996-1998
- Ph.D., Florida State University, Science Education, 1997
- B.S., Gannon University, Major: Chemistry, Minor: Biology, 1992
- EDUC-T 550 Identity and Education in the Urban Context
- EDUC-Q 200 Introduction to Scientific Inquiry
- EDUC-E 328 Science in the Elementary School
- EDUC-J 500 Curriculum in the Context of Instruction
- EDUC-Y 521 Methodological Approaches to Educational Inquiry
- Curriculum Development
- Racism and Racial Bias
- Science Education
- Worldview Theory
- Gee, V. Ꞩ & Mutegi, J. W. (in press). The molecules that make me unique: Seventh graders explore atoms, molecules and compounds through a socially transformative curriculum. Science Scope.
- Thompson, L. R., Mutegi, J. W., & Davis, J. L. (in press). “There’s no one here that looks like me”: Nationbuilding as a response to African American underrepresentation in the sciences. Western Journal of Black Psychology.
- Mutegi, J. W. & Momanyi, L. O. (2020). Windows and mirrors: three images of the US science curriculum as reflected through Kenya’s Jua Kali. Cultural Studies in Science Education. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11422-019-09967-2.
- Mutegi, J. W., Sorge, B. H., Fore, G. A.Ꞩ & Gibau, G. S. (2019). A tale of two camps: A mixed methods investigation into racially disparate outcomes in a nanotechnology research experience. Science Education, 103, 1456-1477. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.21548 (2018 ISI Impact Factor 2.897; Rank 22/243).
- Mutegi, J. W., Phelps-Moultrie, J. A. & Pitts Bannister, V. R. (2018). The snare of systemic racism and other challenges confronting hip-hop based pedagogy. Teachers College Record, 120(11). (ISI Impact Factor .910; Rank 187/243).
- Recipient of the Chancellor’s Diversity Scholar Award from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. Received April 21, 2016
- Recipient of the Alvin S. Bynum Mentor Award from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. Received April 25, 2014
- Recipient of the Outstanding Junior Scholar Award from the Brothers of the Academy Institute. Received October 4, 2003
Grants and Funding:
- Mutegi, J. W. A Landscape Study of Residents’ Science Knowledge and Informal Science Resource Use Amid the Flint Water Crisis. Research Support Funds Grant (RSFG) Award – IUPUI Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR). (PI; $35,000; December 1, 2019-December 31, 2020; Funded).
- Mutegi, J. W. Developing Methods for Teaching Socially Transformative STEM Curriculum for Pre-Service Science Teachers (STSC Methods). Midwest Noyce Conference Grant. (PI; $4,800; November 22, 2019-November 21, 2020; Funded).
- Mutegi, J. W. STEM Teaching Lab Upgrade. Learning Environment Grant – IUPUI Center for Teaching and Learning. (PI; $25,000; November 22, 2019-November 21, 2020; Funded).
- Grant awarded from the National Science Foundation – EHR (Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program) towards project titled: Carver Teaching Initiative - Inspiring the Next Generation of STEM Teaching Professionals through Internships, Recruitment, and Engagement (CTI-INSPIRE). (PI; $1,448,247; August 2017)
- Grant awarded from the National Science Foundation – DRL (Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers) towards project titled: Nanotechnology Experiences for Students and Teachers (NEST). (Co-PI; $1,061,245; November 2014)
- Grant awarded from the National Science Foundation – EEC (Research Experiences for Teachers) towards project titled: Research Experiences for Teacher Advancement in Nanotechnology (RETAIN). (Co-PI; $494,220; November 2013)