- Ph.D., Educational Administration, Policy and Planning, University of Texas at Austin, 2006
- M.A.T, Secondary Education , Trinity University
- B.S., Biology, Trinity University
- EDUC-F 500 Urban Communities
- EDUC-T 531 Organizational Change in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Schools
- EDUC-Y 520 Strategies for Educational Inquiry
- EDUC-Y 521 Methodological Approaches to Educational Inquiry
- EDUC-Y 611 Qualitative Inquiry in Education
Nguyen, T.S.T., Scribner, S.P., & Crow, G.M. (2012). Tangled narratives and wicked problems: A complex case of positioning and politics in a diverse school community. Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership, 15(4), 49-64.
- Brooks, J. S., Maxcy, B. D., & Nguyen, T. S. T. (2010). International perspectives on the politics of education: Leadership and identity in multiple contexts: An introduction to the politics of education special issue. Educational Policy, 24(1), 3-8.
- Maxcy, B. D. and Nguyen, T. S. T. (2006). The politics of distributing leadership: Reconsidering leadership distribution in two Texas elementary schools. Educational Policy 20(1), 163-196.
- Maxcy, B. D., Sungtong, E., & Nguyen, T. S. T. (2010). Challenging school leadership in Thailand's southern border provinces. Educational Management, Administration, and Leadership, 38(2), 164-183.
- Maxcy, B. D., Sungtong, E., & Nguyen, T. S. T. (2010). Legitimating leadership in southern Thai schools: Considering local responses to neoliberal reforms. Educational Policy, 24(1), 110-136.
- Nguyen, T. S. T. (2008). Peer debriefing. Prepared for an invited encyclopedia entry in The Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods.
- Nguyen, T. S. T. (2010). Vietnamese diasporic placemaking: An ethnographic moment in uneven geographical development. Educational Policy, 24(1), 159-188.
- Nguyen, T. S. T. & Maxcy, B. D. (2010). Revisiting distributed leadership: Examining the risks of leadership for and from a Vietnamese diasporic community. International Journal of Urban Educational Leadership, 4(1), 187-205.
- Nguyen, T. S. T. & Crow, G.M. (2012). General management theory. In B. Irby, G. Brown, R. Lara-Alecio (Eds.), Handbook of educational theories for theoretical frameworks. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing. Pp. 883-888.
- Nguyen, T. S. T. & Lee, P. L. (2013). Asian/America and Education: Problematizing Problems of Knowledge. In L. Tillman & J. J. Scheurich (Eds.), Handbook of research on educational leadership for diversity and equity. Routledge. (pp. 200-226).
- Rah, Y., Choi, S., & Nguyen, T. S. T. (2009). Building bridges between refugee parents and schools. International Journal of Leadership in Education: Theory and practice, 12(4), 347-365.
Honors & Awards
- Barbara L. Jackson Scholar, National Graduate Student Seminar for future scholars of color hosted by the University Council for Educational Administration, 2005-2006.
- David L. Clark Scholar, National Graduate Student Research Seminar hosted by the University Council for Educational Administration, Spring 2005.
Grants & Funding
- Nguyen, T.S.T., Maxcy, B.D., Mutraw, M.O., Plo, N., & Nar, Y.D. (2013). Burmese Community Center for Education: Community Self-Empowerment Program. Office of Refugee Resettlement, USDHHS. (Principal Investigator, $600,000 (2013-2016) awarded September, 2013).
- King Thorius, K., Maxcy, B.D., & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2011). Great Lakes Equity Center at Indiana University-Indianapolis. Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, USDOE. (Co-Principal Investigator, $2.2 million (2011-2014) awarded August, 2011.
- 2011. Nguyen, T.S.T. (2011). Refugee placemaking: An examination of resettlement enterprises across public, private, and faith-based organizations. Indiana University School of Education Proffitt Summer Faculty Fellowship, Indianapolis, IN. (Primary Investigator: $10,000)
- 2010. Nguyen, T.S.T. (2010). Democratic Education, Immigrant Narratives, and Digital Storytelling. Indiana University School of Education Research Fund, Indianapolis, IN. (Primary Investigator: $5,000)
- 2006. Nitjarunkul, K., Maxcy, B.D., Atisabda, W., Sungtong, E., Placier, P., Grogan, M., & Nguyen, T.S.T. (2006). Organizational Challenges for Educators in Southern Thai Primary Schools Responding to Educational Reform and Cultural Unrest. The Prince of Songkla University Research Council, Hat Yai, Thailand. (Co-Investigator: $7,894, submitted August 2006).
- Critical Leadership Studies
- Cultural Studies and Education
- Educational Policy
- Qualitative Research
- American Educational Research Association, 2002-present
Division A: Administration, Organization and Leadership
Division G: Social Context of Education
Division L: Educational Policy and Politics
Politics of Education (SIG)
Research on the Education of Asian and Pacific Americans (SIG)
Postcolonialism and Education (SIG)
- University Council for Educational Administration