- B.S., Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1978
- M.S., Behavioral Disabilities, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1985
- Ph.D., Rehabilitation Psychology and Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1987
Pat Rogan is a Professor in the area of special education. She has been a public school teacher, Transition Coordinator, and university faculty member for 30 years, with interests in secondary education, transition, supported employment, and organizational change. Pat consults nationally and internationally with schools, adult services, and state leaders to promote positive practices and systems change.
Pat served as a Board member and then President of the National Association for Persons in Supported Employment (APSE) from 1996-2002 and is now a founding member of the National APSE Emeritus Circle. She was appointed to the National Adequacy of Incentives Task Force by the U.S. Social Security Administration, was the Chair of the Indiana Conversion Task Force, was a Governor Appointed Member of the Indiana Work Incentives Council, and has been instrumental in organizing six National Organizational Change Forums, with the most recent meeting in Indianapolis in September 2010. Pat has written numerous articles and book chapters, and has co-authored several books: Natural supports in the workplace: A manual for practitioners, Closing the shop: Conversion from segregated to integrated employment, and Make the day matter: Promoting typical lifestyles for adults with significant disabilities.
- EDUC-K 306 Teaching Students with Special Needs in Secondary Classrooms
- EDUC-K 541 Transition Across the Lifespan
Honors & Awards
- Indiana University Trustees' Teaching Award 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching Award (FACET) 2004
- Past President, National Association for Persons in Supported Employment, 2000-2002
- Governor Appointed Member, Indiana Work Incentives Council, 2002-2005
- Founding Member, National APSE: The Network on Employment Emeritus Circle
Grants & Funding
- Savage, S., Sandy, P. & Rogan, P. (Consultant/Researcher/Evaluator). Customized Employment Demonstration Project. Office of Disability Employment Policy, U.S. Department of Labor, 2002-2007, $638,792.
- Rogan, P., Sandy, P., Chesterfield, G. & Savage, S. (Principal Investigator). Indianapolis Public Schools Transition Services Initiative. Indiana Vocational Rehabilitation Services, 2006-2007, $100,000.
- Rogan, P. & Robison, F. (2004). IUPUI Fellowship Block Grant, 2004-2005, $10,000.
- Rogan, P. & Novak, J., Indiana Medicaid Action Coalition. Indiana Governor's Planning Council for People with Disabilities, 2000-2001, $19,970.
- Rogan, P. (Research Coordinator). Social Mapping: A Research Project on the Patterns of Quality in the Lives of Workers with Disabilities. (A joint project with the University of Oregon). U.S.D.E., 1990-1993, $240,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Transition/Integrated Employment Specialist, U.S.D.E., 1994-98, $422,068.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). The Status of Community Living in Indiana, Governor's Planning Council, 1995-1996, $50,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Syracuse Transition Project. New York State, 1992-1995, $30,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Quality of Life Outcomes of People in Supported Living, Group Homes, and Institutions in Indiana. Indiana Governor's Planning Council, 1997-1998, $50,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Jumpstart Online Course Development grant. IUPUI Center for Teaching and Learning, 2007-2009, $93,260.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). From Segregation to Integration: Conversion of a Sheltered Workshop for People with Dual diagnoses. Syracuse University, 1988, $6,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Directing Our Own Resources, Governor's Planning Council, 1993-1996, $227,575.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Community Partnerships Initiative, U.S.D.E, 1995-1998, $616,452.
- Rogan, P. (Project Director). Back Home in Indiana Alliance. National Home of Your Own Alliance, University of New Hampshire, 1996-1998, $60,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Coordinator). Inclusion at North Central High School. Indiana University, Research Institute on Teacher Education. 1996-1998, $20,000.
- Rogan, P. (Project Co-Director). Inclusive Education Project: A Building-based Approach to Developing Classroom and School Models that Include Students with Severe Disabilities, in collaboration with the Syracuse City School District. U.S.D.E., 1989-1992, $320,000.
- Rogan, P. (Principal Investigator). Teacher Quality Partnership Grant for the Indianapolis STEM + Special Education Urban Teacher Residency Program. US Department of Education, 2009- 2014, $2.7 million.
- Rogan, P. (Principal Investigator). Indiana Transition Initiative, U.S.D.E., 1993-98, $2.5 million.
- Rogan, P. (Principal Investigator). Indiana Employment Initiative, U.S.D.E., 1993-95, $1.3 million.
- Rogan, P. (Principal Investigator). Indiana Conversion Project, Indiana Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, 1995-1997, $720,000.
- Rogan, P. (Principal Investigator) & Fisher, M. (Project Coordinator). Special Education Preservice Training Improvement Grant. U. S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, 2007- 2012, $490,935.
- Novak, J. & Rogan, P. (Faculty Sponsor). Student Initiated Research: "Social inclusion in the supported employment workplace". U.S. Department of Education, 2000-2002, $19,930.
- Adult Services for People with Disabilities (Employment, Community Living)
- Inclusive Education
- Organizational Change from Sheltered to Integrated Employment
- School to Work and Adult Life Transition
- Secondary Education
- State Systems Change
- Urban Education
- President, National Association for Persons in Supported Employment (APSE), 1/2000-7/2002
- Coordinator, National TASH Conference Transition and Employment Strand, 2000-2007
- Co-Chair, National Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps (TASH) Integrated Employment & Careers Committee, 1990-1999
- Board Member, National APSE, 1996-2002
Chair, Executive Committee
Vice President, 1998-2000
Co-chair, Conference Committee
Member, Government Relations Committee
- Co-Editor, National TASH newsletter, special edition on transition and supported employment, 2001, 2002
- Board Member, Indiana Association for Persons in Supported Employment (APSE), 1994-2004
Chair or Member, Policy Committee, 1995-present
- Board Member, Indiana TASH, 1993-1998
Chair, Newsletter Committee, 1993-1998
- External Evaluator, PJ v. State of Connecticut Board of Education lawsuit, 2007
- National Adequacy of Incentives Task Force, U.S. Social Security Administration, 2003-2005
- Co-Coordinator, National Organizational Change Network, 2004-present
- Member, Indiana Meaningful Daytimes Task Force, 2007-2009
- Governor Appointed Member, Indiana Work Incentives Council (MED Works), 2002-2005
- Co-Chair, Indiana Conversion Task Force, 1998-2000
- Chair, Indiana Conversion Task Force, 2001-2003
- Director, Back Home in Indiana Alliance, 1997-2007
- Board Member, Back Home in Indiana Alliance, 2007-present
- Member, Indiana Medicaid Action Coalition, 2000
- Member, Indiana Special Education University Forum (ISEAS), 1997-present
- Member, Indiana Transition Initiative Advisory Council, 1997-1998
- Member, RISE Special Services Reform Committee, 2007-2009
- Chair, Advisory Board, Customized Employment grant project, 2002-2007
- Management Team, Customized Employment grant project, 2002-2007
- Member, Indianapolis Public Schools VSA committee, 2003
- Co-Chair, Indianapolis Public Schools Transition Services Committee, 2002-2008
- Co-Chair, Bloomington High Schools 18-21 Transition Services Committee, 1999-2000
- Co-Chair, North Central High School Building Support Team, 1996-1999
- Indiana Institute on Disability and Community
Member, National Supported Employment Consortium Project, 1999-2000
Member, Indiana Employment Initiative Team, 1997-1998
Member, Indiana Transition Initiative Team, 1997-1998
Member, Community Living Team, 1997-1998
Member, Center Director Search Committee, 1998
Chair, National Conversion Forum Planning Team, 1998