- Ph.D., Texas A & M University
- M.S., Texas A & M Univesity
Robin L. Hughes is an Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Higher Education Student Affairs (HESA) at Indiana University Indianapolis. She is an adjunct professor in the Department of African American African Diaspora Studies in Bloomington and Indianapolis. Dr. Hughes serves as Executive Associate Dean for the School of Education, Indianapolis and serves as the Faculty Athletic Representative at IUPUI.
Her research focuses on sports where she explore the development of students who are athletes participating in revenue generating sports. In addition, she focus on issues of race, and how those issues might impact faculty and students of color in higher education.
Dr. Hughes is also Co-editor and co-founder of the Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education(JSSAE), Taylor Francis, Routledge Press. She is the author of numerous articles, book chapters, and books that examine issues of race. Her forthcoming, co-edited book, Dismantle This! Deconstructing Policy and Institutionalized isms through Critical Race Theory , explores how academic institutions sustain racism by structuring and perpetuating exclusionary procedures and policies for administration and scholarship.
- EDUC-C 565 Introduction to College and University Administration
- EDUC-U 546 Diverse Students on the College Campus
- EDUC-U 548 Student Development Theory and Research
- EDUC-U 580 Issues and Problems in Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (Capstone)
- EDUC-U 750 African Americans in Higher Education
- EDUC-U 750 Critical Readings on Race in Education
- EDUC-U 750 The Student Athlete in Education
Honors & Awards
- 2011 Chancellor's Diversity Scholar Award
- 2007 Outstanding Alumni (Former Student) College Station, Texas, Texas A&M University
Grants & Funding
- 2010. Skiba, R., & Hughes, R. L. W. T. Grant. School disciplinary climate and educational outcomes for African American students: Phase II, School-Level Analysis. $460,000.
- 2008. Hughes, R. L., Murtadha, K., Thompson, C., Skiba R., & Giles, M. Lumina Foundation. $650.000.
- African American Students and Faculty Experiences (recruitment/retention/perceptions and experiences)
- African American Students' Educational Success
- Critical Race Theory and Educational and Social Settings
- Student Athletes and Sports (identity,experience and history)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education ASHE
- National Association of Student Affairs Professionals NASAP
- National Association of African American Studies NAAAS
- American Educational and Research Association AERA