- B.S. in Special Education, Miami University, 2005
- M.Ed. in School Counseling, University of Cincinnati, 2011
- Ph.D. Candidate, Urban Education Studies, Indiana University- IUPUI School of Education
- H440: Sociopolitical Contexts of Education
- K307: Methods of Meeting the Needs of Special Learners
- K465: Collaboration and Service Delivery
- Graham, J. & Coomer, M.N. (2018). When schooling hurts: Professional school counselors as mitigates for school-based trauma. Journal of Global Engagement and Transformation, 2(1). https://everypiecematters.com/jget/volume02-issue01/when-schooling-hurts-professional-school-counselors-as-mitigates-of-school-based-trauma.html
- Thorius, K.K., Moore, T.S., & Coomer, M.N. (submitted). We can do better: Critically reframing special education research and practice at the intersections of disability and cultural and linguistic diversity for young children In J. Bakken Y F. Obiakor (Eds). Advances in special education (Vol. 34): Special education for young learners with disabilities.
- Coomer, M.N. (2017, Jun. 22). Roxane Gay’s Hunger: A feminist/dis/ability (or not) take on bodies and access. The Huffington Post. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/roxane-gays-hunger-a-feministdisability-or-not_us_594b5360e4b062254f3a5b97
- Coomer, M.N. (2016, Aug. 10). Biting the invisible hand: The teacher’s fight against corporate education reform. The Huffington Post. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/biting-the-invisible-hand_us_57ab5f60e4b091a07ef84f74
Disability Studies, Anthropology of Education, Cultural-Historical Activity Theory, Special Education, Education Policy, Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, Mad Studies
Honors & Awards
- Indiana University School of Education- IUPUI Student Nominee for Faculty Policy Council, 2018.
- Indiana University School of Education Graduate and Professional Student Government- IUPUI, 2017-2018, 2018-2019.
- Graduation and Professional Education Travel Grant Recipient, 2018.
- Invited Keynote Speaker: State Leaders Equity Summit, 2017.
- University Graduate Scholarship, University of Cincinnati, 2009/10 .
- Teacher of the Month (District-Wide), Edgewood City Schools, April 2007.
- Outstanding Service Award for the Department of Educational Psychology, Miami University, Spring 2005.
- Coomer, M.N., Jackson, R., Hannon, K., Oglesby, N., & Nadaraj, A. Accessibility: Out of School Time and Informal Learning. Presented at the Association of Teacher Educators Conference. Las Vegas, NV, 2018.
- Coomer, M.N., Jackson, R., Moore, T. Eliminating Curricular Bias to Advance Equitable Democratic Participation in Social Studies Classrooms. Presented at the Social Science in Education Consortium. Florence, Italy. 2018.
- Coomer, M.N. Figured Worlds of Madness. Presented at the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry. Champaign-Urbana, IL, 2018.
- Coomer, M.N. Neoliberal Deployment of Urban Market-Based Education Reforms and Democracy Destruction. Presented at the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry. Champaign-Urbana, IL, 2018.
- Coomer, M.N. & Johnson, A.C. (2018). Accomplices Not Advocates: A Feminist Disability Accompliceship Proposal for Teachers of Students with Disabilities. Presented at the Multiple Perspectives Conference: Society for Disability Studies Strand. Columbus, OH, 2018.
- Coomer, M.N. Examining the Ways Mental Illness is Socially Constructed in American Special Education Classrooms. Presented at the Critical Disability Studies Student Association Conference, Toronto, ON, 2018.
- Cosby, G., Coomer, M.N., & Luis, A. Three Autoethnographies of Racially Ambiguous Women. Presented at the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry. Champaign-Urbana, IL, 2017.
- Negrelli, M.N., & Sebera, K. (2010). Serious Emotional Disturbances and the Public School. Presented at the All Ohio Counseling Conference. Columbus, OH, 2010.
- Coaston, S. & Negrelli, M.N. (2011). Working Collaboratively: A School Counselor’s Role on a Multidisciplinary Team. Presented at the All Ohio Counseling Conference. Columbus, OH, 2011.
- Negrelli, M.N. (2012). Where Skinner Meets Freud: Serious Emotional Disturbances and the Public School. Presented at the Behavioral Institute for Children and Adolescents Annual Conference. Brown County, IN, 2012.