- Ph.D., Indiana University, 1995
- M.S., The Ohio State University, 1984
- B.A., Indiana University, 1975
I joined the faculty of IUPUI in 1995 after a career as an elementary teacher and three years as a Reading Consultant for the Indiana Department of Education. My home department is Literacy, Culture, and Language Education, and I have served as Chair of Teacher Education and Chair of Graduate Programs for the School of Education. I love teaching new teachers and working with them out in the schools. I enjoy teaching a wide variety of graduate courses, including classes about multiliteracies and the role of the arts in learning. I also spend time each year working with school districts to design meaningful professional development experiences in literacy teaching and technology. My favorite professional development initiative in Indianapolis is the Indiana Partnership for Young Writers. I work with the Director, Dr. Susan Adamson, to write grants and find support for our partnership schools to participate in this project. My research is entwined with all of the different facets of my teaching, but I am most interested in theorizing literacy as far more than just language and demonstrating how learning can lead to creative and divergent ends at the same time as it meets minimal standards.
- EDUC-E 339 / EDUC-M 304 Language Arts Methods and Fieldwork
- EDUC-E 340 / EDUC-M 305 Reading Methods I and Fieldwork
- EDUC-E 341 / EDUC-M 306 Reading Methods II and Fieldwork
- EDUC-E 345 / EDUC-M 303 Language and Mathematics Literacy in the Early Grades and Fieldwork
- EDUC-F 500 Institute on School Reform
- EDUC-H 340 American Culture and Education
- EDUC-L 400 / EDUC-L 500 Issues in Language Education
- EDUC-L 530 Academic Literacy
- EDUC-L 530 Arts Together
- EDUC-L 530 Rethinking Writing in the Elementary School
- EDUC-L 750 Understanding Multiliteracie
- EDUC-T 531 Organizational Change in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Schools
- EDUC-X 400 / EDUC-L 504 Diagnostic Reading Assessment
- EDUC-X 470 / EDUC-L 502 Socio-psycholinquistics of Reading
Honors & Awards
- 2001 Distinguished Teacher Educator
- 2000 FACET (Faculty Colloquium)
- 1998 - 2001 Teaching Excellence Award
Grants & Funding
- 2011-2012 IUPUI Reading and Writing Project, Indiana Commission of Higher Education, $400,543.
- 2009-2010 IUPUI Reading and Writing Project, Indiana Commission of Higher Education, $244,349.
- 2009 Jump Start Grant, Center for Teaching and Learning, IUPUI, $2,500.
- 2007-2011 Professional Development for Teachers of ESL, U.S. Department of Education. $1,500,000. In collaboration with Annela Teemant and Indianapolis Public Schools.
- 2006-2008 PDS Writing Project, Indiana Commission of Higher Education, $280,000.
- 2005-2007 Creating High Achievement Pipelines, Indiana Commission of Higher Education, $206,894.
- 2004-2006 Indiana Reading Academy Project (Voyager), Co-PI with Mary Beth Hines (Bloomington), Indiana Department of Education, $1,432,362
- 2004-2004 Virtual Curriculum: Arts for Learning, Great Cities' Universities, $19,980.
- 2003-2004 Units of Study, Indianapolis Foundation/Library Partners, Co-PI Kerry Hoffman. $5,000
- 2003-2003 Developing Assessments of Student Learning, Standards-based Teacher Education Project, $12,000.
- 2001-2003 Web-based Curriculum Development—Virtual Curriculum: Action Research, Great Cities Universities, $46,800.
- 2001-2002 Professional Development Workshops--Managing Best Practice and Accountability in English/Language Arts, Indiana Department of Education, $12,147.
- 2000-2002 Collaborative Project with Indianapolis Public Schools, Developing Curriculum and Performance Assessments for the Learning to Teach/Teaching to Learn Program, Educate Indiana Grant, $19,000.
- 1999-2000 Principal Investigator, What Are the Children Learning? Preparing Urban Teachers Who Can Teach for Understanding, Proffitt Internal Grant, $12,000.
- Arts-Infused Curriculum
- Diversity/Critical Literacy
- Multiple Ways of Knowing
- Online Instruction
- Practitioner Inquiry
- Reading Instruction
- Teacher Education
- Urban Education
- Writing Workshop
- American Educational Research Association – Proposal Reviewer, Co-Editor for SIG Online Yearbook: Urban Teaching, Learning, and Research
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association of Teacher Educators—Indiana Unit
- CELT (Center for Expansion of Language and Thinking)
- Indiana Essential Schools Network
- Indiana Council of Teachers of English—Executive Board Member
- Indiana Partnership for Young Writers – Board of Advisors
- Indiana Professors of Reading
- Indiana Teachers of Writing
- International Reading Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Council of Teachers of English – Editorial Board of Language Arts 1997-2002, Commission on Curriculum (2000-2005), Commission on Arts and Literacy (2006-present), Nominating Committee, Editorial Board of English Education, 2008, Book Reviewer.
- National Reading Conference –Area 4 Program Chair 2000-2003, Editorial Board (2005-present)
- National School Reform Faculty
- Teacher Education and Practice—Reviewer 2007-present