The single most critical skill students need to master to be successful in school is reading. Our reading program is designed to give you and prospective teachers a greater understanding of the dynamics of the reading process. This licensure program enables educators to be more effective in their reading instruction in their own classroom and to work in a dedicated reading classroom.
In this program students will learn:
- How to provide support for reading development
- How to use a variety of instructional strategies
- An understanding of the different learner approaches to reading
- How to use a variety of formal and informal assessments
- The sociolinguistic and psycholinguistic foundations of reading
The reading program consists of five courses which students can begin taking before they begin the teacher education program.