Posted: November 27, 2018
The Indiana University School of Education at IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis) seeks a thoughtful colleague who will contribute to our academic community and the advancement of urban school counseling as a faculty member in the Counseling and Counselor Education Program. The IU School of Education at IUPUI has deep commitments to social justice, high quality research, field connections and the preparation of exemplary school counselors, teachers and educational leaders. IUPUI is situated in downtown Indianapolis with a metro population of 2 million people, with a vibrant urban lifestyle and affordable housing.
This position is at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. The successful candidate will share these commitments and meet the following criteria: Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and teach counseling curriculum including relevant theory and practices, which prepare counselors for work in urban settings.
- Collaborate with colleagues from other disciplines such as Educational Leadership, Special Education and/or Teacher Education to develop mutually beneficial partnerships with local PK-12 schools and/or community organizations.
- Assist in ongoing program development, revisions, and evaluation.
- Provide service to the school, university, community, and professional organizations.
- Earned doctorate in Counselor Education.
- Strong teaching and supervision skills at the graduate level.
- Commitment to innovatively address problems in urban school counseling.
- Evidence of commitment to the improvement of mental health and educational services in and around schools, for all students and families, including vulnerable and historically marginalized populations.
- Earned doctorate in Counselor Education preferably from a CACREP accredited program.
- Strong quantitative or qualitative research methods.
- Experience as a school counselor working with diverse populations.
- Experience with online course development and the integration of educational technology to enhance teaching and learning.
- Experience working and communicating with non-English speaking students and families.
IUPUI Campus and IU School of Education Context
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) is renowned for service learning and civic engagement.
- IUPUI is an urban campus that hosts more than 30,000 students.
- The School of Education has nationally recognized programs in Counseling and Educational Leadership and is distinguished by award-winning faculty.
- The urban education mission at the School of Education at IUPUI includes a cutting-edge interdisciplinary Urban Education Studies doctoral program.
- The School of Education programs have a long history of innovative partnerships with local public schools.
- School of Education faculty members collaborate on interdisciplinary curriculum, grants, and research.
- The IUPUI School of Education hosts major centers such as the Great Lakes Equity Center, Center for Urban and Multicultural Education and Urban Center for the Advancement of STEM Education.
- In addition to Education, IUPUI has nationally-ranked programs in nursing, public and environmental affairs, law, and health.
Application: Candidates should submit (a) letter of application describing qualifications, relevant experiences, civic engagement, and research program, (b) curriculum vita, (c) samples of scholarship, and (d) names and email addresses for at least three references. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted until February 5, 2019. Position start date is August 1, 2019. Rank and salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. All application materials must be submitted online at http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/7117 .
Questions should be directed to Dr. Craig Willey (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of Search Committee. Additional information about the School of Education can be found at http://education.iupui.edu. Individuals who require reasonable accommodations in order to participate in the application process should notify Ashley Clemons at email@example.com with appropriate advance notice.
IUPUI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. The university actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, Latino/as, members of the LGBTQ plus community, and members of other underrepresented groups are welcome to apply.