Posted: June 25, 2018
IUPUI’s elementary teacher education program is designed to produce teachers who can challenge inequities and teach for social justice in urban schools.
Currently, we are seeking experienced multicultural education and foundations instructors to teach a junior level multicultural education course and a junior level foundations course.
Qualified instructors will have a masters degree in elementary or secondary education with a focus on multicultural education, foundations, or related qualifying experiences. Instructors should have experience teaching youth, either in formal or informal education spaces.
The multicultural education course has three major foci:
- Explore concepts of culturally relevant/responsive teaching which entail learning, thinking, and understanding how teachers can create learning opportunities in their classroom that honor and build on students’ cultural experiences, language practices, and previous knowledge.
- Examine different ways in which curriculum and instruction often acts as a gatekeeper to future opportunities for children from different ethnic groups and low socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Investigate inquiry-based models of instruction, curriculum and pedagogy
The foundations course has three major foci:
- Recognize how historical, philosophical, and social forces help to shape education systems, and critically analyze current educational issues that affect children, families and communities from historical, philosophical and social perspectives.
- Learn how successful teachers draw on the foundations of education to guide actions, decisions, and practice.
- Explore questions about the nature of democracy in education and schooling in American society.
An instructor is responsible for the following:
- Preparing actively for teaching the course.
- Teaching the course once a week. The courses meet one day a week either in the morning (9am-12pm) or afternoon (1pm-4pm).
- Supporting students’ field experiences
- Grading assignments for the course.
- Holding regular office hours to meet with students.
Please send a cover letter, CV, and list of references to Erik Tillema, Chair of Elementary Teacher Education, at email@example.com or call 317 274 6821 if you are interested.