IUPUI Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis

Transition Programs at IUPUI

IUPUI is recognized as a leader in urban education. Students are prepared according to the standards established by the Indiana Professional Standards Board and earn Indiana Teaching Licenses. In addition, students are immersed in programs of study that challenge them intellectually with new models of instruction and explorations of diversity. All students spend significant time in community schools where they learn the importance of social justice and democratic practices. They learn to tap the wealth of assets in Indianapolis as they hone their expertise as discipline-based teachers and passionate professionals. The School of Education is committed to preparing teachers who want to make a difference and have the knowledge and skills to do so.

There are currently three alternative routes to teacher certification at IUPUI.

Program GPA Requirement

Transition to Teaching (T2T)

GPA of 3.0 or higher in a bachelor's degree or a master's degree.
Note: GPA of 2.8 or higher is required for Math and Science

Post Baccalaureate Certification Program

GPA of 2.5 or higher in a bachelor's degree

Second Degree Program

Any GPA in your other bachelor's degree

What is your next step?

Students interested in either the T2T or Post Baccalaureate Certification programs must have a transcript evaluation. In this review of your academic work, advisors will determine whether you have the content background needed for a specific teaching license. It is impossible to accurately advise students before this step is complete.

The Request for Evaluation (PDF) is available.

Please fill it out, print it and send it to:

School of Education, IUPUI
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-5155
Attention: Certification Programs

Gather all the necessary original transcripts for your university or college work. Send the original transcripts in the envelope with your Request for Evaluation. Within 6-8 weeks you will receive your returned evaluation and a detailed information packet on the program for which you are eligible.

Students interested in a second bachelor's degree should meet an undergraduate advisor for program information. For assistance, schedule an appointment with one of the School of Education advisors.